A list of Newborn Essentials

A pregnant friend recently asked me for a list of this-is-the-stuff-I-really-really-honest-to-god-truly-must-have-when-I-bring-my-newborn-home. I thought back to my state of Defcon level 1 preparedness before ETSMN (pronounced et-smin, Event-That-Stretched-My-Nethers). I want you to picture a dragon, a very pregnant dragon, one that has long forgotten what her toes look like, radiating self satisfaction, perched upon an enormous pile of baby stuff. That was me. I had piles of presents from excited grandparents, aunts and uncles, the loot from my baby shower, things I bought because my vast research had indicated that if I had them not my baby would grow up retarded , things I bought just because and hand me downs from friends. In the days A.E. (After-ETSMN) I grew wiser.

Here then, is the short list of things that were truly indispensable.
  1. If you are breastfeeding, a nursing pillow
  2. If you plan to supplement, or plan to have folks other than yourself feed the baby you need bottles and a bottle warmer
  3. Diapers and a bin to put the dirty ones in
  4. Something to swaddle your baby in
  5. Clothes
  6. A comfy chair
  7. A place for baby to sleep 
  8. Car Seat
  9. Infant carrier 
  10. Baby bath stuff
  11. Changing mat for travel
  12. Baby nail scissors
  13. A snot sucker. Yes. This is a thing. Get used to it.
  14. Thermometer


No comments:

Post a Comment